Saturday, October 15, 2005

A note from the homework grader

On the midterm, I'm going to try my hardest to be very specific about what constitutes a complete answer, even moreso since people have been asking me about homework grading.

This is what the homework grader has to say about it:
"Here is what I like to see.

1. If a theorem is used, it should be cited (especially with
convergent/divergent series problems since there are so many tests).

2. Non-trivial integrations (especially ones by parts) can't be omitted.
For example, f(x) = ln(x)/x^2 from the last hw. They can't just write
Integral(f(x)) = -ln(x)/x - 1/x with no intermediate steps.

3. In general, when in doubt, show the work.

Those are the main things for me. Stating theorems and showing work."

1 comment:

Allen Knutson said...

Tell me something I don't know