Wednesday, February 11, 2009

HW #4, due Wednesday 2/18

1. Let V be a k-dimensional subspace of C^n.
Let I(V) be generated by the linear polynomials { \sum_i v_i x_i : (v_1,...,v_n) in V }.
How would you find a finite generating set for I(V), in ten words or less?

2. A Gr\"obner basis is reduced if
a) the coefficient on every leading term is 1,
b) no term in any generator can be reduced using another generator.
Show that every ideal in a polynomial ring has a reduced Gr\"obner basis.

3 = 1+2. Let M be an m x n matrix. Let I(M) = I(the span of the row vectors) from Q#1.
Describe an algorithm to fiddle with M, from which one can read off a reduced Gr\"obner basis for I(M).

4. Let I be an ideal, and define Rad(I) = {p : for some natural number n, p^n is in I}.
a) Show that Rad(I) contains I.
b) Show that Rad(I) is an ideal.
c) If I = I_X for some subset X of C^n, show that Rad(I) = I.

...more to come